PictureDots.com. ("PictureDots") recognizes that its customers, visitors, users, and others who use www.picturedots.com or other web sites owned or operated by PictureDots (the "Picturedots Sites") (collectively or individually "Users") value their privacy. This Privacy Notice details important information regarding the use and disclosure of User information collected on the PictureDots Sites. PictureDots provides this Privacy Notice to help you make an informed decision about whether to use or continue using the PictureDots Sites.
This Privacy Notice is incorporated into and is subject to the PictureDots Terms of Service. Your use of the PictureDots Sites and any personal information you provide on the PictureDots Sites remains subject to the terms of this Privacy Notice and our Terms of Service.
Please note that any video, image, or other content posted at the direction of Users onto the PictureDots Sites becomes published content and is not considered personally identifiable information subject to this Privacy Notice.
The Information PictureDots Collects
- User Provided Information: You provide certain personally identifiable information (such as your name and email address) to PictureDots when choosing to participate in various activities on the PictureDots Sites such as creating dot-to-dot puzzles, posting messages in our forums or in the puzzle comments section, entering contests or sweepstakes, taking advantage of promotions, responding to surveys, or subscribing to newsletters or other mailing lists.
- Cookies Information: When you visit the PictureDots Sites, we may send one or more cookies - a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters - to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser. PictureDots uses both session cookies and persistent cookies. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser help file directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the PictureDots Sites may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log File Information: When you use the PictureDots Sites, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, browser language, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- Clear GIFs Information: When you use the PictureDots Sites, we may employ "clear GIFs" (a.k.a. Web Bugs) which are used to track the online usage patterns of our Users anonymously (i.e., in a non-personally-identifiable manner). In addition, we may also use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
The Way PictureDots Uses Information
- If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the PictureDots Sites, then we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the PictureDots Sites.
- Any personal information or created art content that you voluntarily disclose online (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, within your public profile page, etc.) becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. Your account name (not your email address or name) is displayed to other Users when you create and save dot-to-dot puzzles or send messages through the PictureDots Sites and other Users can contact you through messages and comments. Any dot-to-dot puzzles that you submit to the PictureDots Sites may be redistributed through the internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by the general public.
- We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major PictureDots Site changes or for customer service purposes).
- We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the PictureDots Sites and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences and trends.
When PictureDots Discloses Information
- We do not share your personally identifiable information (such as name or email address) with other, third-party companies for their commercial or marketing use without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out.
- We do share non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third-parties to assist them in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the PictureDots Sites.
- We may release personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information if required to do so by law, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright Law) or respond to a court order, subpoena, or search warrant.
- PictureDots also reserves the right to disclose personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information that PictureDots believes, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, take precautions against liability, to investigate and defend itself against any third-party claims or allegations, to assist government enforcement agencies, to protect the security or integrity of our web site, and to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of PictureDots, our Users or others.
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the PictureDots Sites, in which case PictureDots may not be able to provide certain services to you. You may update or correct your personal profile information and email preferences at any time by visiting your account profile page. Please note that media files uploaded by Users to the PictureDots Sites cannot be removed and remain subject to our Terms of Service.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you profile access or making corrections. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Please contact PictureDots with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, your consent, or your opt-in or opt-out choices using this contact form.
Our Commitment To Data Security
PictureDots uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to PictureDots and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, PictureDots makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If PictureDots learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. PictureDots may post a notice on the PictureDots Sites if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us using this contact form.
Our Commitment To Childrens' Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the PictureDots Sites at any time or in any manner, unless under continual consent and supervision of a consenting parent or legal guardian. If PictureDots learns that personally identifiable information of persons under 13 years of age has been collected on the PictureDots Sites without verified parental consent, then PictureDots will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Special Note to International Users
The PictureDots Sites are hosted in the United States and are intended for and directed to Users in the United States. If you are a User accessing the PictureDots Sites from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure, that differ from United States laws, please be advised that through your continued use of the PictureDots Sites, which are governed by U.S. law, this Privacy Notice, and our Terms of Service, you are transferring your personal information to the United States and you consent to that transfer.
In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Bankruptcy
In the event that PictureDots is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from our Users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors' rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
Changes and updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically and this will be reflected by the "effective date" below. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received the personal information you provided. Your continued use of the PictureDots Sites constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
For revisions to this Privacy Notice that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of the personal information you have already provided to us, we will attempt to obtain your consent before implementing such revisions with respect to such information.
Date Last Modified:
This Privacy Notice was last modified October 12, 2006.
Please contact PictureDots with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice using this contact form.